A free thinker in the Heartland...

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

11 Year Old Hero

This girl has got the right stuff... from WSBT TV:
Police are calling an 11-year-old girl from Mishawaka a hero. She managed to stop a van that went out of control when her mom had a diabetic reaction, saving her family.

“Mom, stop, I can't get it stopped!” Abigail Parker said during the frantic 911 call she made. “I’m scared! I don't know what to do!”

Abigail was riding in this van on U.S. 31, south of Peru on Saturday when her mom had a diabetic attack behind the wheel.

“I noticed my mom was kind of jerking the car and she was going really fast,” Abigail said.

In fact, she said at one point her mother was driving more than 80 miles per hour.

“So I kind of started talking to her and telling her to slow down and she wasn't responding so I figured something was wrong," Abigail told WSBT News about the incident.

Abigail was sitting in the back seat when it happened. She was able to crawl to the front, crawl onto her mother's lap and bring the car to a stop.