A free thinker in the Heartland...

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Protest In Indy On Cigarette Tax Hike

I don't smoke, and I don't know how I feel about the hike in the tax on smokers. I have 3 smokers in my family, and I don't think they like the idea. Why do I like smoking protesters? From the South Bend Tribune:

[Vicki Meredith] joined about 100 people at the Statehouse in protest of Gov. Mitch Daniels' proposal to raise cigarette taxes by at least 25 cents per pack and use the money to pay for new health care initiatives.

''It makes no economic sense,'' said Meredith, 60, of Lanesville. ''They can't tax cigarettes out of existence and then expect to have the programs you want them to fund.''

About half of Wednesday's protesters were smokers, and many lit up as soon as they got off of two chartered buses that stopped at the southwest corner of the Statehouse.


Ya know, not many people can do their normal thing and be protesting at the same time... like people protesting gun bans don't get off the busses loading and firing guns. Funny, maybe they would make a stronger statement if they did? So you tell me, is the cig tax good or bad?