A free thinker in the Heartland...

Monday, January 15, 2007

Yet Another Meme

Katie suggested I fill this meme out, so here is more boring info about yours truly...

1. Name a book that you want to share so much that you keep giving away copies:

Hmm... tough question. I usually get books after others have suggested, it just seems the natural order of things. I can tell you the book experience I wish I could have shared with more people. I like a few of the books Stephen King has wrote, and in 1996 (thanks for knowing the year Wikipedia!) I heard he was going to release a novel in serial form called The Green Mile. I was intrigued, and bought the first volume. Altogether the novel would be in six parts, with each thin volume being released in paperback one month after the other. If you have seen the movie, you know it was an even better book... and actually it was a masterpiece in serial form. Each volume built upon the last, while having their own little buildup and climax in the short volume. I guess I wish more people could experience a book in serial form... now I know why King was a fan of them and why he wanted to do one. I guess maybe the Harry Potter series is similar, but much larger books and much longer wait times.

Name a piece of music that changed the way you listen to music:

Hmm... I dunno if I am that deep of a musical person to actually answer this one. I would say that the album Core by Stone Temple Pilots changed my view of music. It was the first cassette (that is what we used back then in olden times) that I listened to and enjoyed the entire album... over and over. Before then, I would really just listen to a song or two and really didn't care for the rest of the album, and after I noticed the groups that had the talent to put out whole albums and those that only had a couple hits in them.

Name a movie you can watch again and again without fatigue:

Oh this is easy. I have several, but off the top of my head I would name two (because they are on TV all the time right now.) First is Regarding Henry. The whole movie just works. I like how Harrison Ford plays Henry... the way his character changes, works through adversity, how his family becomes closer through it all. If it is playing, I end up watching it till the end.

Second is The Shawshank Redemption. How can you not like the movie? Tim Robbins played Andy perfectly, and Morgan Freeman won an Oscar. If it is on, I end up watching it till the end too... even suffering thru commercials!

Name a performer for whom you suspend of all disbelief:

Of all disbelief? That sounds funny... anyway another tough one. I will say Garth Brooks. A friend in high school got me into him (during my country years), and I got into his music. Now most people love him, but then he came out with a strange pop album.... The Life of Chris Gaines. Even his diehard fans HATED this album... but ya know what? I liked it. It wasn't his regular schtick... but it was good. I liked it, no matter what his other fans or the critics said.

Name a work of art you'd like to lie with:

Oh if only I remembered that art class I liked better! I guess I have always been intrigued with Las Meninas by Velazquez.


I like how this is a painting of the perspective of the subject... and you can almost imagine that you are the one being captured by Velazquez in the portrait. I also just like boroque art. Now I am no art snob... I just remember enough from a class I once had to say I have a favorite. :)

Name a work of fiction which has penetrated your real life:

Hmm... ok it really isn't fiction in print form, but I will say The Daily Show/Colbert Report. They take real news, and make it funny. I really can't miss an episode, and I miss them when they go on vacation. Real news can be too depressing so we all should laugh at the world when we can.

Name a punch line that always makes you laugh:

Oh any punch line that I recognize makes me laugh... be it from the Office ("that's what she said"), or Office Space ("I believe you have my stapler...") or Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("Help! Help! I'm being repressed! ") or Airplane ("Surely you can't be serious." "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley") or Spaceballs ("I am surrounded by assholes!") and I could go on, and on, and on...

Now for comedians... I guess it would have to be Bill Engvall's schtick of "here's your sign". If you are unaware of the joke, Bill thinks we should give stupid people signs so we know to avoid them. For example:

I pulled into a service station with a flat tire. The attendant looked at the car, and looked at me, and said, "Tire go flat?" I said, "Nope, I was driving around, and the other three just swelled right up on me. Here's your sign."

Well that does it for me... if you feel like doing the meme, leave me a comment and where I can check out your list. :)

UPDATE: Wow, I didn't even know you could post without a title... weird. So this post has been edited to have the title I originally gave it but someone somewhere in the Matrix choose to remove it when I posted.