A free thinker in the Heartland...

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Is Republican Base Crumbling?

I dunno if I would agree with this article from the South Bend Tribune:

They made it look so easy.

After 50 years in the wilderness, Republicans swept to power in 1994 with big ideas about reining in big government, a revolutionary zeal and a moral compass that Democrats seemed to have lost.

With the charismatic Newt Gingrich at the helm, they moved swiftly to impose their view of the world on Congress and the country with lower taxes, less spending, restrictions on abortion and other conservative priorities.

Twelve years later, the House Republicans seem to have lost their playbook. Their ranks are divided despite the GOP's control of the House, Senate and White House. Their vaunted discipline in pushing President Bush's agenda despite a sliver-thin majority has crumbled as nervous lawmakers approach what could be another historic Election Day.

Now, revelations about lurid e-mails that then-Rep. Mark Foley, R-Fla., sent to teenage pages, and GOP leaders' response to them, may have put the final stake in their majority.

Unity has given way to finger-pointing. Republican leaders who normally speak from the same set of talking points are publicly contradicting one another, seeking to shift responsibility onto the next guy. The public's regard for Congress is at its nadir.


I don't see their base leaving them anytime soon. I have hopes for a Democrat takeover of Congress, but I am not getting my hopes up... if you know what I mean. Articles like this just worry me that people like me who want change will think that they don't have to do anything this November and they will just stay home, and the Republicans will win again and then two more years till we try to get change again. I tell ya, this election can't come quick enough for me. One thing I won't miss is the endless negative ads on TV!